Saturday, January 19, 2008

Something still is not quite right....

Recently, I have been watched Australian Open. Australians root for their Australian players crazily no matter who their opponents are. The perfect example is the match between Lleyton Hewitt and Marcos Baghdatis. The Australian crowd did everything to support Lleyton Hewitt and can't appreciate any good performance from Marcos Baghdatis. This even infuriated and distracted Marcos Baghdatis from game. In my opinion, that's why Marcos lost that game.(When I posted this, Marcos was losing.)

I guess this is homefield advantage, but I don't think this is right. As a sport fan, you should support all players with good performance no matter where they came from, shouldn't you? The same thing goes to some Taiwanese fans toward to Wang. I think I am one of them, hopefully not as crazy as them. Nothing is wrong about that, but I just think that We should try to destroy national borders physically and mentally. If we are able to accomplish this, I believe we will have a peaceful world eventually.

Updated 4:39am in Sydney:Well, the match went to five sets and took 4 hours and 45 minutes to complete. Lleyton Hewitt finally won. Actually, Lleyton Hewitt almost won in fourth set, but Marcos recovered from crowd pressure and pushed to the fifth set. It is a great game. In the end, both players are so emotional. Marcos even was crying when he left the court. I tip my hat to Marcos, he pushed the game to the fifth set without crowd support.

2 comments:

Todd Drew said...

Jessica,
I think great athletes are good at blocking out a hostile crowd, but it can certainly be an advantage when they are on your side.

Jessica Lee said...

absolutely, I couldn't image how I deal with that.